Amanda-Users

Recover info from an amanda tape

2003-04-07 16:15:28
Subject: Recover info from an amanda tape
From: Jimmy <jimmy AT v2k DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 07 Apr 2003 14:59:20 -0400
Hello list,

I have a situation here and I am not sure how to go about doing this
right.  I am sorry for the length of this e-mail.  I am so new to
amanda, I really did not know what would be useful information, so I put
together everything I thought might be usefull.  I am sure that this
would be trivial for anyone with some experiance using amanda.  (Thats
just unfortunely not me)  :)

I have a backup that was done using amanda on a 35gig DLT tape.  I am
tring to recover some files from the tape.  I thought that I would not
need to use amanda todo it, I could just get the info I needed from tar,
but everything I have tried has failed, so now I am thinking maybe using
amanda is the only way.  I will list out what I have tried and what my
results were hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to
how I can get to those files.  :)

I tried simply doing a:
tar -xvf /dev/st0 -b 128

After MANY hours, it ended with:
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

But I did get two directories:
spool

My indexes directory listing looks like this:
20020318
20020319
20020320
20020321
20020322
20020329
20020330
20020401
20020402
20020403

And I know (from the label on the tape) there was a full backup done on
Mar 30 (20020330).  When I dig down into the index directory, I can find
the idx file with the files I need:
indexes/20020330/fileserv/FILESERV_200203300505_export_home.idx

So I look in the spool directory and figure out the last file that was
extracted was from the day before 20020329.

Thinking something went wrong along the way, I did:
dd if=/dev/st0 of=fileserv.tar bs=64k

I end up with a 5 gig tar file.  When I try to extarct the file I need I
get the same EOF error.

So I am assuming when you do a full backup with amanda, it does
something different.  I installed amanda and tried using amrestore and
am recover, but to no avail.  I cannot get the syntax correct to get
them to do anything.

When I view the contents of the tar, it is in this format:
-rw-r--r-- backup/backup 14852500 2002-03-18 03:35:16
 spool/20020318/fileserv/FILESERV_200203180324_export_home.tgz

SO I think the backup/backup has something todo with hostname.  The
something I need to get this to work with amrestore I think.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Does the EOF mean the
backup is no good?  Or do I need to use amrestore or amrecover to get to
the files I need?  If I do, what would be the most logical syntax to get
to those files?

Thank you very much just for reading this far.  :)

Jimmy

--
Jimmy <jimmy AT v2k DOT ca>