Amanda-Users

Re: DLT8000 size problem

2003-04-07 12:36:31
Subject: Re: DLT8000 size problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "DUDOIT Sylvain" <sylvain.dudoit AT c-s DOT fr>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:13:19 -0400
On Mon April 7 2003 08:33, DUDOIT Sylvain wrote:
>                         Hi all,
>
>I'm using Amanda 2.4.4 on RedHat 6.1.
>After successfully installing Amanda, I have configure it
> following the documentation.
>My drive is a Quantum DLT 4000 but I use DLTtape IV of 40GB ( 80GB
>compressed ).
>So I have set the "tapetype" to DLT8000-40 getting from the
> FAQ-O-Matic.
>
>> define tapetype DLT8000-40 {
>>     comment "Quantum DLT8000-40"
>>     length 37482 mbytes
>>     filemark 2362 kbytes                # don't know a better
>> value speed 5482 kps              # dito
>> }
>
>After making a first dump of 32GB which must hold in my tape of
> 40GB, I receive an error from Amanda indicating that my tape is
> to small 26 GB.
>
>The log file says :
>> START driver date 20030405
>> DISK planner nestor.si.c-s.fr /data/projects
>> START planner date 20030405
>> INFO planner Adding new disk nestor.si.c-s.fr:/data/projects.
>> START taper datestamp 20030405 label cssi05 tape 0
>> FINISH planner date 20030405
>> STATS driver startup time 205.758
>> INFO taper tape cssi05 kb 26200288 fm 1 writing file: No space
>> left on device
>> FAIL taper nestor.si.c-s.fr /data/projects 20030405 0 [out of
>> tape] ERROR taper no-tape [[writing file: No space left on
>> device]] FAIL dumper nestor.si.c-s.fr /data/projects 20030405 0
>> ["data write: Broken pipe
>> "]
>>   sendbackup: start [nestor.si.c-s.fr:/data/projects level 0]
>>   sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/gtar
>>   sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gtar -f... -
>>   sendbackup: info end
>> FAIL driver nestor.si.c-s.fr /data/projects 20030405 0 [dump to
>> tape failed]
>> FINISH driver date 20030405 time 15115.619
>
>Note : a "tar" archive was stored before using Amanda system.

Amanda will have overwritten that as she always rewinds the tape and
checks the label for correctness.

>Does Amanda not replace old datas when making a full dump ??

Amanda will remove the index data for a tape that is being reused,
but will keep it on the drive until such time as that tape is
re-used, even if the schedule is such that she has 2 or more fulls
on tape to fall back on.  This haveing at least 2 fulls is also
recomended.  So if dumpcycle is 7 days, then tapecycle (the number
of tapes in the pool) should be at least 15, times the value in
runtapes.

>Do I need to erase datas before making a first dump ??

If you've properly labeled the tapes, then they are to be considered
erased of previous data by that operation.  No further action on
your part is required.

>Regards
>
>- Sylvain

Is that 40gb capacity the "with compression" rating?  If so, then
without is probably more like 20gb.  And if amanda is also using
compression, then the drives compressor cannot do much additiional
compression, and can in some instances actually cause an expansion
in the size of the data on the media itself.

Its generally recommended by amanda users that any compression in
the drive be turned off, as the default gzip compression used by
amanda when told to use it will usually beat the drives 2 to 1
compressor by quite useable amounts.  Here, my overall compression
is to about the high 30's and low 40's in percentages of original
size for the whole backup, and quite a bit of mine isn't compressed
by amanda at all since its already archived stuffs and will not
compress further.  But some compress to less than 10% of the
original size too.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: