Amanda-Users

Re: Using only one dumper

2003-04-07 02:48:05
Subject: Re: Using only one dumper
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 01:23:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 06:01:15PM -0500, Vytas Janusauskas wrote:
> >> I am archiving about 40 DLEs
> >> via Samba they all are referenced on one host in the disklist.
>
> I wasn't aware of that Brandon, thanks.  But I'd make another
> comment since all 40 are referenced as being on one host, he should
> make use of spindle numbers which will prevent the dumpers from
> attacking more than a single drive at once, thereby easing the load
> on the drives steppers considerably.  Obviously if all 40 DLE's are
> on a single big drive, then adding dumpers isn't what the drive
> needs.

He didn't say all 40 drives are on the same host.  He said they are all
referenced on one host in disklist.  For a samba-assisted backup, the
disklist host is the one acting as the samba intermediary between amanda
and the M$ share that's being backed up.  Those 40 shares might all be
on a single host or they might be on 40 different hosts.

-Mitch