Amanda-Users

Re: Using only one dumper

2003-04-07 00:03:14
Subject: Re: Using only one dumper
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix AT structbio.vanderbilt DOT edu>, Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:31:33 -0500
On Sun April 6 2003 20:20, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 06:01:15PM -0500, Vytas Janusauskas wrote:
>> Just sitting here watching the amstatus report and have noticed
>> that only 1 dumper is being used.   I am archiving about 40 DLEs
>> via Samba they all are referenced on one host in the disklist.
>> Is this the reason?   Is there a way to use more dumpers when
>> archiving via Samba?
>
>You need to set maxdumps to something greater than 1 in your
>amanda.conf.  It defaults to '1'.  See amanda(8) for details.
>
>Brandon D. Valentine

I wasn't aware of that Brandon, thanks.  But I'd make another
comment since all 40 are referenced as being on one host, he should
make use of spindle numbers which will prevent the dumpers from
attacking more than a single drive at once, thereby easing the load
on the drives steppers considerably.  Obviously if all 40 DLE's are
on a single big drive, then adding dumpers isn't what the drive
needs.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: