Amanda-Users

Re: Frontend , UI for amanda [really, what is Bacula?]

2003-03-31 22:07:05
Subject: Re: Frontend , UI for amanda [really, what is Bacula?]
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:36:58 -0800
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:09:36PM -0800, Gordon Pritchard wrote:
>       But I am looking at Bacula now also...

http://www.bacula.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bacula

Was not aware of Bacula before, and it looks like Kern Sibbald has done
some cool stuff, and Bacula certainly has some features that would be
nice to have in Amanda, BUT Bacula:

- Mandates MySQL or SQLite as the server engine behind it's server
  catalog.  This is not an option.

- Uses it's own client backup engine, not *dump/*tar.

- Uses "multiple-interthreaded-blocks-from-different-backup-streams"
  type tape format.

  (Bacula provides a small, lightweight tape-reader utility to use
   for disaster recovery, though.)

  Kern recommends that nobody actually *use* multiple backup streams
  in production yet, though, until it's better tested.

[Disclaimer: all of the above three points are from reading the docs,
 not from reading the source or asking the author, so I could be
 wrong.]

In an ideal world, three years ago I would have arranged for Kern to
receive a post-hypnotic suggestion to "enhance Amanda".  :-)

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461