Amanda-Users

RE: Frontend , UI for amanda ?

2003-03-31 18:41:54
Subject: RE: Frontend , UI for amanda ?
From: "Thomas Hu" <thomash AT date DOT com>
To: <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>, "'Bernd Broermann'" <bernd AT broermann DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:00:49 -0500
Gene made some points but not all I agree with.

Friendly user interface (not necessary "fancy" GUI) is a measure of all
good quality software products. Amanda is not beyond the scope of this
view.

Amanda is client-server based product. This means, while its client
might be in "bare" OS, amanda server is not. The server has to be fully
functioning to provide the data recovering/restoring service.

In terms of management of amanda, I appreciate all efforts that have
been put into the product to make it less demanding for human
intervention however, it is still a client/server architecture involving
many resources and objects. Initial configuration, though one time,
takes some time. The difficulty of getting used to it has been reflected
in this mailing list. For a changing (amount of data, schedule, tape
devices) environment, managing amanda does not seem to be a piece of
cake. As far as I am concerned, Bernd's presented a good question if we
look at it as a bigger picture rather than as a stupid question from a
lazy and less knowledgeable admin.

I am not initiating a fire. Forgive me if it would irritate some of you.

Thomas