Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-20 11:45:52
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:53:51 -0500
Martinez, Michael - CSREES/ISTM on Thu 20/03 08:02 -0500:
> I will reiterate what I posted to the list several months
> ago. This is for the list maintainer:
>
> If you maintain an open and unmoderated list, eventually
> the spam and offensive material that hits this list is
> going to become too much for folks.

So unsubscribe.

> Also, you may find yourself with legal problems if you
> allow someone to post illegal material to your list.

Oh please, what are you trying to threaten people because
you can't be bothered to filter your own email? Why don't we
just censor all information.  That way we'll all have more
freedom, right?

> Us folks that work in government have strict rules about
> pornography and are under surveillance from our Security
> people who are on the watch for this kind of activity.

So get a new job.

> Folks like Wayne (below) and myself find ourselves running
> a risk when we subscribe to your list. I would hate to
> have to un-subscribe

Frankly, I'd rather that you did, personally. Rather than
complaining and trying to make every mailing list owner do
your administrator's job to filter spam, you could just
leave the list and stop whining.

> I think you should implement a spam prevention policy and
> a moderated list.

Moderated lists create an undue burden on these people that
are just volunteers, and slow down the discussions.