Amanda-Users

Re: Large partitions

2003-03-18 13:50:17
Subject: Re: Large partitions
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:08:49 -0500
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 07:53:17AM -0800, David Olbersen wrote:

> And I'm quite confused based on the two. I obviously don't want to have any
> problems using tar, and that last article doesn't leave me with the idea that
> things have been fixed!
>
> I also read the recent posts which make it sound like tar will work just fine.
>
> Due to other reasons I'm using amanda-2.4.1p1 on the backup server, and newer
> versions on the clients.
>
> Any suggestions? This partition could end up being ~100GB or even 200GB.

Works fine here for years with 2.4.2.

Basic scheme, using my large partition, "/w" as an example.

My /w shows this list of files and directories:
  dumplist      dutch         jg1           Packages      tape8
  dumps         InstalledPkg  lost+found    recov         UserGuides

My disklist contains these:
   butch        /w              wcomp-root-tar  2
   butch        /w/InstalledPkg comp-root-tar   2
   butch        /w/Packages     comp-root-tar   2
   butch        /w/jg1          comp-root-tar   2
   butch        /w/tape8        comp-root-tar   2

Note the different dumptype for the /w entry.  The only difference is
that dumptype wcomp-root-tar uses a different exclude file than does
comp-root-tar.  It specifically excludes ./InstalledPkg, ./Packages,
./jg1, and ./tape8 as well as all the things excluded by the other
dumptypes.  So my large disklist entry, /w is broken into 5 pieces,
four getting specific subdirectory trees, the last collecting all
that remains, but not the 4 specific subdir trees.

HTH,
jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)