Amanda-Users

Re: level 0 of huge filesystem not working (tar returned 2, and the backup fails)

2003-03-12 18:36:53
Subject: Re: level 0 of huge filesystem not working (tar returned 2, and the backup fails)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:15:55 -0500
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 03:54:09PM -0500, wab wrote:
> One filesystem I'm trying to back up with AMANDA is really huge and I'm
> encountering errors:
>
> This filesystem is so huge, a level 0 is taking longer than 24 hours.
> Any ideas on what could be going wrong? My best guesses:
>
> 1. The filesystem is just too big for TAR.
> 2. The filesystem is so big, its contents are changing during the tar
> process and confusing it or amanda.

No I don't think this is the situation.

> /-- <server>     /usr lev 0 FAILED [/usr/local/bin/tar returned 2]
> sendbackup: start [<server>:/usr level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/local/bin/tar
  [[ snip ]]
> | Total bytes written: 30747043840
> ? gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> sendbackup: error [/usr/local/bin/tar returned 2]

My past reading of tar source showed this error when one or several
files could not be backed up but most of the backup was ok.  You
had several individual file errors.

Go to your config/config.h file and add a line

        #define IGNORE_TAR_ERRORS

and recompile.  It will then continue after this and several other
specific errors.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)