Amanda-Users

Re: Xinetd not starting amanda

2003-03-10 13:36:48
Subject: Re: Xinetd not starting amanda
From: Gordon Pritchard <gordonp AT sfu DOT ca>
To: linux AT mostert.nom DOT za
Date: 10 Mar 2003 08:51:11 -0800
On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 06:44, Mozzi wrote:
> Hallo all
> when checking if amanda is listening on the correct ports.
> netstat -a | grep -i amanda
>
> any ideas how I can trouble shoot further?
> According to me evereything there must work

        Here are some thoughts - I hope they help you.  I'm making many rash
assumptions here, like your operating system (!) and exactly *what* your
problem is!!!  It would be helpful to have had a bit more info to go
on...

1)  First, compare your xinetd startup-file with mine (I'm using
RedHat8.0, and my file is /etc/xinetd.d/amanda):

root@mustang:/root-> cat /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
# default: on
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        user            = amanda
        group           = backup
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
        wait            = yes
}

2)  Restart xinetd, mostly just for good measure.  As root, on my
RedHat8.0 system, this goes like:

/sbin/service xinetd restart

        If you issue "ps aux" (again, RH8.0 and similar) you should see a line
that looks something like:

root       544  0.0  0.3  2100  912 ?        S    Mar04   0:00 xinetd
-stayalive -reuse -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid

        This shows that xinetd is running.  Remember, xinetd is a
'super-server', which launches other programs (like amandad).   Your
"netstat" command will NOT show amanda listening, because it's not; it's
xinetd that listens and starts amanda.

3)  Verify that xinetd is able to "see" your amanda.  For me, I invoke a
console-based configuration tool, and simply see that amanda shows up in
the listing:

ntsysv

4)  At this point, you should be ready to try amcheck.  Read the
documentation.  Find where your amanda logs are stored and read them.
On my RH8.0 system, my amandad lives in /usr/local/libexec, and I find
it handy to use this to see if amandad is getting started by xinetd:

ls -ul /usr/local/libexec/amandad

        The time that shows will be the last access-time; if it doesn't match
when you just tried your amcheck run, then it's not amanda that's
failing - it's not even getting started!  Check (or temporarily remove)
firewalling.  If you're using tcpwrappers, take those out of the picture
too (ie blank /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny).

        There - I've tried to help you.  But again, it's hard when you don't
provide your OS, and your problem!!  Usually I would simply hit "delete"
upon seeing a posting like yours...

        -Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers