Amanda-Users

Dumpcycle advise

2003-03-06 12:44:51
Subject: Dumpcycle advise
From: "F.M. Taylor" <root AT uranium.indstate DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:26:45 -0500 (EST)
I need some dumpcycle advise.

I have a 40 slot tape library.

I have 4 "sets" of backups.
(4 configs with different systems in each config, some going to drive 1
some going to drive 0) All the configs use the same tapelist files, so
they are kind of aware of each other.

Amanda runs every day.

Each set can use 1 or two tapes.
(I told it it could use two, but most the time it only uses one).

Monthly I remove all the tapes from the library, send them offsite, and
install fresh ones. (this could be changed in order to meet my goal)

I need dumpcycle settings that ensure that every time I pull the tapes,
that all the data from the entire month is there.

currently I have

dumpcycle 20 days
runspercycle 20
tapecycle 40 tapes

Comments? Suggestions?

--
Mike Taylor
Coordinator of Systems Administration and Network Security