Amanda-Users

Re: Win32 Backup?

2003-03-06 11:57:15
Subject: Re: Win32 Backup?
From: tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:28:37 -0500
"Steve Loughran" <stevelml1 AT scee.sony.co DOT uk> wrote:
>> One way I have done it is to use MS's backup program to backup to a
>> samba share on a freebsd box. MS backup will happily backup to a samba
>> share.  Then I just backup all that stuff using amanda.
>
>beware of backing up via NT Backup to a samba share, always verify the
>contents of the file. I ran into a problem wher it appeared to be backing
up
>just fine, and created a huge BKF file, but it was full of zeros and
>unusable...

I've been using ntbackup to files on samba share for a number of weeks
now, haven't seen any problems. I do have the verify flag on. Perhaps it's
the samba version or config, or maybe networking issues?

Just a thought.

I did have to alter my original schedule/dump type in ntbackup. I was
getting tape overruns due to that fact that amanda has no control of the
w2k boxes schedule/dump type. It would be very cool if some smart win
programmer could write wrappers for ntbackup.exe so that amanda could
control it directly. Also, I copy over the ntbackup log files at the end
of the script. Seems it can only have 10 log files at a time. Ntbackup in
w2k is pretty useful. Although Veritas did write it for them.

--
toby bluhm
philips medical systems, it support, mr development, cleveland ohio