Amanda-Users

Re: Using only one tape, full dump delayed

2003-02-28 13:36:47
Subject: Re: Using only one tape, full dump delayed
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:39:15 -0500
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:06:56AM +0100, forster AT bluemail DOT ch wrote:
> Here is what I put to config.
> I have no idea what that filemark is. So if its wrong, I am not lying ;)
>
> define tapetype SURESTORE-1200E {
>     comment "HP AutoLoader"
>     length 12000 mbytes
>     filemark 100 kbytes
>     speed 500 kbytes
> }

Actually I suspect you have been lying in a number of places and ways.
Perhaps unintentionally :))

What tape drive do you really have?

If I recall correctly, the SureStore-1200 is a DDS2 (DAT-2) changer
and you were using a reasonable (3.9GB) tapetype definition for that.

But you were using 125M tapes, DDS3 tapes that should not work in a
DDS2 drive.  Actually, has anyone ever tried that?

And for sure, even using a 5M longer DDS3 tape with a DDS2 drive, I
don't think would not get anywhere near the 8GB capacity you seem to
be getting.

Unless you can write to DDS3 formula tapes in a DDS2 drive AND we
consider your other lie :)

>> 4.) is hardwarecompression active in your tapedrive?
> No, disabled by using device /dev/rmt/0bn
> (b= berkley mode n= no compression)

Based on device name I'm guessing this is a Solaris or HP system.
In either case, "n" refers to No Rewind, not no compression.

By chosing the 0 device with no density modifier (like "l", "m", ...),
you have elected default compression, which generally is on.

So maybe, if you are using a DDS2 drive, a DDS3 tape, no software
compression, and hardware compression, you can get 8+GB of data written.

What are you actually doing?

BTW using the Berkeley drive options is not recommended.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)