Amanda-Users

Re: And a couple more questions

2003-02-28 05:35:46
Subject: Re: And a couple more questions
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:08:02 +0100
John Oliver wrote:
1) To exclude a directory that isn't on the host running the amanda
server, is it sufficient to touch .amanda.exludes in that directory?

And you have to specify in your dumptype that there is an exclude
list named ".amanda.excludes" ofcourse.

2) How does amanda react to symlinks in a directory?  Will it follow the
link and back up what it finds, or ignore it, or ???

It backs up the contents of the link itself but not the
contents of the file it points to:
        ln -s /bin/sh mysh
backups of file "mysh" will have a length of 7 bytes.
That's normal behaviour of all backup programs.
And it's by design! (I wouldn't want it do other, except in
controlled cases, and then I would use the special tar option
to follow symlinks.)

A special case:
Some people create a directory with a list of symlinks to other directories. You can instruct amanda (using GNUTAR) to backup
the directory is points to instead of only the symlink if you
add "/." to each dir:
        ln -s /space/disk1/john /home/john
        ln -s /space/disk2/paul /home/paul
        ln -s /space/disk3/george /home/george
        ln -s /space/disk4/ringo /home/ringo
and then specify in your disklist
        jupiter  /home/paul/.   comp-user-tar
        jupiter  /home/john/.   comp-user-tar
        jupiter  /home/george/. comp-user-tar
        jupiter  /home/ringo/.  comp-user-tar

(I've never really understood why they need to do that, but if you really want to, you can.)