Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie question: merge incremental backup to full one

2003-02-26 16:09:48
Subject: Re: Newbie question: merge incremental backup to full one
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Kablan BOGNINI <kbognini AT yahoo DOT fr>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:22:01 -0500
On Wed February 26 2003 11:15, Kablan BOGNINI wrote:
>Apologizes for the post because i don't give enough
>info.
>Here is.
>I have make backup on two different tapes say tape A
>and B from server_one.
>A is holding the full backup and B the incremental
>one.
>I have another server_two not using amanda where i
>want to restore those data ?
>What must i do to get all my data(full+incremental)
>restore on that server ?

You realise of course this has very little to do with the original
question. (-:

Take the tapes, and prefereably the drive, to the second machine,
even the controller card if need be, and install them to the point
of being operational.   Or make sure the network is transparent so
you can access the drive from a shell on the target machine.  I'm
not that great on the networking stuff, so I'd move the drive and
controller card.  But thats just *my* personal preferences.

Make sure you have the following tools available on the second
machine.
mt
dd
tar (or (shudder) dump)
gzip

The files on the tape are laid out like this
amanda tape ID header (32k)
{
        amanda - tar identifying header, may be 32k, I'm not sure
        tar'd file represesnting one DLE
}
repeat the {} contents till last DLE is done, at which point an
attempted read of the next header will get you an EOT error.

then

all this assumes the use of the non-rewinding tape device alias.

1. rewind tape
2. dd if=tapedev bs=32k  # will show you the tapes name
3. dd if=tapedev bs=32k  # will tell you onscreen what the next file
on the tape is, and whether or not you need to pipe it thru gzip,
showing you the actual command line to use.

At this point, go make the target dir for this particular file, and
cd to it.

4. Follow the directions you got from step 3
5. repeat from step 3 until out of data on that tape
6. eject tape and insert 2nd one
7. repeat from 1 to 5.
8. move data to where you want it if the recovery wasn't pointed
there in the first place.

A simple concept, but lots of work.  No mistakes allowed unless you
keep track of the file/DLE count so the tape can be rewound, and
then repositioned to the proper starting location with an "mt -f
device fsf filenumber"  where device is say /dev/nst0 (you MUST use
the non-rewinding device for this) and where filenumber might be 26
if thats where you lost track of all the trees in this here forest.
:)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M