Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie question: merge incremental backup to full one

2003-02-26 13:04:30
Subject: Re: Newbie question: merge incremental backup to full one
From: Kablan BOGNINI <kbognini AT yahoo DOT fr>
To: gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:15:16 +0100 (CET)
Apologizes for the post because i don't give enough
info.
Here is.
I have make backup on two different tapes say tape A
and B from server_one.
A is holding the full backup and B the incremental
one.
I have another server_two not using amanda where i
want to restore those data ?
What must i do to get all my data(full+incremental)
restore on that server ?

 --- Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net> a écrit :
> On Wed February 26 2003 06:26, Kablan BOGNINI wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >How can I merge incremental backup to full backup
> >without using AMANDA ?
>
> On the same tape?  For dependability reasons, amanda
> won't do that
> because she has no way of knowing when next
> restarted, where on the
> tape and how much of it has been used.  In between
> sessions,
> someone may have ejected the tape and re-inserted
> it, which would
> rewind it.  If amanda then does an incremental on
> the same tape as
> your only full, the full is over-written and lost.
> Not a pleasant
> scene with the boss if you should need to do a full
> recovery 3
> hours after that incremental was done.
>
> Tape is cheap when compared to the cost of lost data
> and the cost of
> regenerating that lost data from scratch.
>
> Consider if the lost data is your only full,
> uptodate copy of your
> accounts receivable...  Buy the tapes.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
> 99.23% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV
hillbilly