Amanda-Users

Re: Q: simple but how ?

2003-02-26 06:05:35
Subject: Re: Q: simple but how ?
From: Raúl Wild-Spain <rcruz AT wild-spain DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:40:09 +0100
Hi! Jon

> > define tapetype DDS-4-40{
> >  comment "DDS-4 PowerVault with compression"
>
> Is this hardware compression?  If using software compression,
> the capacity is still to be listed as ~20GB.

Yes! it is.  I think my PowerVault is configured to compress by hardware in a
ratio of 2:1 (by default). I this case do you think  can I make use of these
values? are these right?

> > DDS-4-20
>
> I know dumptypes can include other dumptypes, but can tapetypes do so also.
> Besides, the speed would differ for HW compression on and off.  Then again,
> the speed value is unused, so what's it matter :)  I don't know if filemark
> size would change.

I saw something like these in my debian-amanda docs ... I will review it,

> > Do I suppose this will work properly?  Have anyone experience with DDS-4
> > tapes and amanda?
>
> Lots of people.

;-))

> > dumpcycle 0
> > runspercycle 2
>
> Can you fit two runs into a zero size cycle?

I saw in the documentation that a dumpcycle value of 0 indicates to amanda run
a full backup with every amdump. So I've tried to indicate to amanda " by
rotating my 2 tapes you must to do a full backup every amdump".

I want that amanda warns by mail ... "needed tape Backup01 .... needed tape
Backup02"  (rotated) and it does a full backup every amdump with every tape...
how to accomplish this?

> That is going to take a long time to convince your boss that amanda is
> working.
> One run/week?   For testing/demo, why not run it nightly or business nightly?

while I haven't the rest of tapes I must to do backups not only for testing but
"operative". I thinked that at least doing a weekly full backup are ok ... at
the moment.

Best regards,