Amanda-Users

Re: SUN StorEDGE L400 2 tape, 8mm drives

2003-02-25 13:01:35
Subject: Re: SUN StorEDGE L400 2 tape, 8mm drives
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:24:21 -0500
On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:56:00AM -0500, Julie Hughes wrote:
> I've searched for items on tape libraries like the L400 and similar, but
> haven't come up with good results.  I'd really like to try Amanda, but Im
> getting frustrated and feeling a bit stupid.   It seems rather difficult to
> find easy installation notes for my situation.
>
> I have an SUN StorEDGE L400 Autoloader (SCSI) with 10 slots and two tape
> drives.   It uses Exabyte 8mm, 170m tapes. I'll be running the backup
> software on Solaris 8.
>
> Are there any newbie friendly notes to help set up Amanda to work with this
> type or similar type of tape library.
>
> I can't be the only one who has one of these things.
>
> What driver is best to use for controlling this kind of drive?   mtx
>
> Does anyone have a similar tape library configuration file they could share??
>
> I hate that this library is sitting here unused.     Thanks for any help
> offered.

I believe you have two options.  View the device as two separate devices each
with
dedicated slots (say 1-5 and 6-10) then run two separate amanda configs and
amdumps.
With this option you have to be sure that each amanda config accesses different
client hosts if the amdumps are to run concurrently.

The other possibility is to use the RAIT ?driver? to stripe a backup across the
two drives.  Then the library will look like a 5 slot changer with a double
capacity
and speed drive.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)