Amanda-Users

Re: question about blocksize and tape buffers

2003-02-25 11:17:28
Subject: Re: question about blocksize and tape buffers
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: mike.simpson AT doit.wisc DOT edu
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:41:59 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 at 4:07pm, Mike Simpson wrote

> My question is this:  given the better performance under the higher
> blocksizes, would increasing the buffer size from 32k up to something
> like 128k give me better performance?  Can I obtain the same objective
> (keeping the drive streaming) by just increasing "tapebufs" to some
> fairly large number?

I've got a library with an AIT3 under Linux as well, and what I do is
'mt setblk 0', which sets it to variable block size.  In last night's
backup, I see speeds up to 11629.8 KB/s (as reported by amanda-2.4.4b1).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering