Amanda-Users

Re: your mail

2003-02-24 18:19:28
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Karl Hudnut <khudnut AT ucar DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:10:40 -0500 (EST)
CCed back to the list for the archives...

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 at 3:01pm, Karl Hudnut wrote

> Thanks for your help. I don't seem to have that documentation in any of
> the rpms I have here. It doesn's seem to be in the tarballs from
> amanda.org either. Can you help me find it?

??  I just downloaded amanda-2.4.3.tar.gz via the link
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/amanda/amanda-2.4.3.tar.gz?download>
on <http://www.amanda.org/download.html> and there's an entire directory
in there called 'docs'.

> I also wonder if you have any comment on amcheck succeeding and amdump
> failing.

Amcheck just connects to the amandad port (UDP 10080) on the client.  It
doesn't check that the client can actually open the TCP connections back
to the server.

Grepping through my own mail archives, here's a summary of port usage I
posted back in 2001:

The amanda server sends a UDP sendbackup request from a privileged port
(not necessarily the same one as above) to port 10080 on the client.
The amanda client sends a UDP ACK from port 10080 to the originating
privileged port on the server.  It then sends another one containing the
numbers of three (non-privileged) TCP ports to set up the data, message,
and index connections.
The amanda server sends a UDP ACK from the privileged port to port 10080
on the client.
The amanda server then initiates three TCP connections on the ports
indicated in the UDP packet from the client.  These are on unprivileged
ports on both systems.  The dumper on the client then proceeds to start
sending date over the TCP connections.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering