Amanda-Users

Re: tcpserver

2003-02-24 19:06:18
Subject: Re: tcpserver
From: "Greg A. Woods" <woods AT weird DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:50:42 -0500 (EST)
[ On Monday, February 24, 2003 at 12:37:47 (-0500), Joshua Baker-LePain wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: tcpserver
>
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 at 11:50am, Casey Shobe wrote
>
> > Is there any way to make amanda work in standalone mode or with tcpserver?
> > I really do not want to have to install inetd...
> >
> xinetd works quite well

Perhaps for some folks, but certianly not for all!

Note also that for all intents and proposes xinetd is an inetd.

> and is much more secure than inetd.

I seriously doubt that.  In fact I believe there's ample proof to the
contrary with several security advisories against xinetd and none that
I'm aware of against at least the *BSD inetds.

Also note that most (all?) of the *BSD inetds include integrated hooks
to TCP Wrappers.

Finally note that Amanda doesn't just use TCP -- it also uses UDP and
you really can't use libwrap effectively on most UDP services.

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods AT ieee DOT org>;           <woods AT
robohack DOT ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods AT planix DOT com>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods AT
weird DOT com>