Amanda-Users

[no subject]

2003-02-24 17:13:35
From: Karl Hudnut <khudnut AT ucar DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:52:36 -0700 (MST)
Has anyone seen a situation in which amcheck succeeds yet amdump fails
with the following:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  mail       /home lev 2 FAILED [could not connect to mail]
  mail       /var/spool/mail lev 2 FAILED [could not connect to mail]

I know that this is an iptables problem. Because if I turn off iptables
the dump succeeds. I have destination ports 10080 - 10083 open to the
server for both udp and tcp packets in my iptables on the client:

ACCEPT     tcp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu tcp \
 dpt:amanda
ACCEPT     tcp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu tcp \
 dpt:kamanda
ACCEPT     tcp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu tcp \
 dpt:amandaidx
ACCEPT     tcp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu tcp \
 dpt:amidxtape
ACCEPT     udp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu udp \
 dpt:amanda
ACCEPT     udp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu udp \
 dpt:kamanda
ACCEPT     udp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu udp \
 dpt:10082
ACCEPT     udp  --  cosmic.cosmic.ucar.edu  mail.cosmic.ucar.edu udp \
 dpt:10083

I am using a RedHat 7.2 amanda Server:
amanda-server-2.4.2p2-4 on RedHat 7.2

And a RedHat 8.0 amanda Client:
amanda-client-2.4.2p2-9 on RedHat 8.0

Possibly someone can guide me to getting more debug info. The logs just
have lines like this:

Feb 24 10:14:13 mail xinetd[8852]: START: amanda pid=32616 \
 from=10.0.0.108

Mail is the host name of the client and 10.0.0.108 is the server.)

Thanks.
--
Dr. Karl Hudnut       System Administrator      UCAR - COSMIC
khudnut AT ucar DOT edu   http://www.cosmic.ucar.edu    303 497 8024