Amanda-Users

Re: downgrading

2003-02-24 13:49:37
Subject: Re: downgrading
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: <rwong AT mrs.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:14:58 -0500
On Mon February 24 2003 11:47, rwong AT mrs.mni.mcgill DOT ca wrote:
>Hum.  I thought the same originally as well.  But I have about a
>dozen tapes reacting the same way.  Half are new and half are old.
>  I use vxa-1 v17 tapes.  I find it unlikely that so many are
> defective/went bad all together in one shot.  What does your
> experience say?
>
>robin

I'm assuming that there is a cleaning tape available, and that it
has been used?

How many hours on the drive?

And what does the drives propaganda say about head life?

Another ugly thought comes to mind.  Is it possible that drives BOT
sensor is bad and its rewinding clear to the leader end of the
tape?  I had that happen to a QIC drive once, and once to a travan
(spit) but they either jerked the tape in two, or burned up the
drive rollers in the cartridge, or both.  Not having any knowledge
of the vxa cartridge, 1 reel or two, I'm a bit hamstrung here on
that point, sorry.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M