Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda email - messages

2003-02-24 11:03:43
Subject: Re: Amanda email - messages
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:16:56 -0500
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 09:47:05AM +0100, Dalton Hubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we use Amanda version 2.4.2p2 with HP SureStore DLT.
> Every night after backup i get an email like this below, where i do not
> understand all messages (our company name was replaced by "company").
> But the backup seems to work fine, and the speed also.
>
> My questions:
> 1) What does the message about "FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:" mean?

You are backing up a very active filesystem.  The dump with tar works
in two stages, make a list of everything to be backed up, then back it up.

Where you get messages about "cannot stat", that file was removed between
the two stages.  Likely it was a temporary file, such as one collecting an
incomming mail message, before renaming and placement in a users mailbox.
But it could also be a file that someone just happened to "rm" before tar
got a chance to back it up.  This situation is one of the reasons tar is
generally run with the "ignore-failed-read" option.

Where you get messages about "file changed", again the file system was very
active and that particular file changed either between the time tar started
reading the first byte and finished reading the last byte.  The accuracy of
that ONE file is definitely suspect.  But it should not affect the rest of
the backup.

I'm not familiar with the "socket ignored" messages.

> 2) What about the message concerning "sendbackup" and "gtar"?

Those are the commands reporting the above events.

> 3) If i want to eject the tape, it rewinds for about 1 minute. Is that
> normal or should amanda rewind the tape to the beginning?

Amanda rewinds the tape when it needs to.  Otherwise it leaves it alone.
If you want the tape rewound after amdump, add an "mt rewind" command
to the nightly cron command that runs amdump.

> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
> /-- bfs.comany. /var lev 0 STRANGE
> sendbackup: start [bfs.comany.at:/var level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> sendbackup: info end
> | gtar: ./log/log: socket ignored
> ? gtar: ./log/mail: file changed as we read it
> | gtar: ./run/ndc: socket ignored
> ? gtar: ./spool/avmailgate/outgoing/df-02336-341A8055: Warning: Cannot
> stat: No such file or directory
> ? gtar: ./spool/avmailgate/outgoing/qf-02336-341A8055: Warning: Cannot
> stat: No such file or directory
> | gtar: ./tmp/.mailgate_5.0: socket ignored
> | Total bytes written: 2539571200 (2.4GB, 1.9MB/s)
> sendbackup: size 2480050
> sendbackup: end
> \--------

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)