Amanda-Users

Help with Gnu tar backups (failing)

2003-02-22 23:00:48
Subject: Help with Gnu tar backups (failing)
From: Rachel Polanskis <grove AT zeta.org DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:38:45 +1100 (EST)
hi,

I am running Amanda-2.4.2 on Solaris 8.   I've been doing this for some time
and all my remote clients work fine.   My local backup server streams everything
to a DDS2 drive and typically I have had no problem.

Recently the size of the /opt filesystem on my server has grown to well over
4Gb.  Since then, dumps of /opt have failed and I have no current backup
of the filesystem.

I have done lots of research and decided to use GNU tar to back up the
filesystem
instead, just picking the critical directories that need dumping.

This is not working at all, however.    I am now seriously desparate to
get this filesystem backed up.   I am protected against critical disk
failure, thanks to the mirrored volume, but not against user errors such as
deleted files.   I have upgrded tar to 1.3.19 and just about to move to 1.3.25
but nothing happens.  Amcheck tells me everything is OK, but the tar portion
of the backups never happens, only the ufsdumps.  Also, my amreport email
is always empty, as it seems to dump core.  I have to use manual
tools to check the reporting.

My setup is thus:

Amanda 2.4.2
Solaris 8/64bit Ultrasparc
Gnu-tar 1.3.19
Disksuite mirrored /opt volume
4Gb dedicated holding disk

Disklist looks like this:

# isis
isis /opt/apache                   user-tar
isis /opt/apache-old               user-tar
isis /opt/cwis                     user-tar
isis /opt/FSFperl                  user-tar
isis /opt/TCXmysql-old             user-tar
isis /opt/TCXmysql-3.23            user-tar
isis /opt/UMCamanda                user-tar
isis /opt/ganymede                 user-tar
isis /opt/OpenLDAP                 user-tar
isis /opt/UWSwebct                 user-tar
isis /opt/src                     user-tar
isis /opt/scripts                 user-tar
isis /opt/UCBsendmail             user-tar
isis /opt/fvwm                    user-tar
isis /opt/pkg                     user-tar
isis /opt/zip                     user-tar
isis /opt/old                     user-tar
isis /opt/docs                    user-tar
isis /                            always-full
isis /usr                          comp-high
isis /var                          comp-high
isis /export/home                  comp-high

isis:/tmp 102# /opt/UMCamanda/sbin/amcheck Weekly
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /opt/UMCamanda/dumps: 3043587 KB disk space available, using
3017987 KB
ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape Week3-thu
       (expecting tape Week3-fri or a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Server check took 10.178 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.311 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2)

sis:/tmp 104# /opt/UMCamanda/sbin/amadmin Weekly due isis
Due today: isis:/export/home
Due today: isis:/var
Due today: isis:/usr
Due today: isis:/
Due today: isis:/opt/docs
Due today: isis:/opt/old
Due today: isis:/opt/zip
Due today: isis:/opt/pkg
Due today: isis:/opt/scripts
Due today: isis:/opt/src
Due today: isis:/opt/OpenLDAP
Due today: isis:/opt/ganymede
Due today: isis:/opt/UMCamanda
Due today: isis:/opt/TCXmysql-3.23
Due today: isis:/opt/TCXmysql-old
Due today: isis:/opt/FSFperl
Due today: isis:/opt/cwis
Due today: isis:/opt/apache-old
Due today: isis:/opt/apache

Can someone please help me get my /opt data backed up?   This is getting
critical!

thanks
rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove AT zeta.org DOT au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html