Amanda-Users

amanda reports ok but am tools can't recover

2003-02-16 19:09:47
Subject: amanda reports ok but am tools can't recover
From: rwong AT mrs.mni.mcgill DOT ca
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:49:31 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I am having some wierd problems using amanda2.4.3b4.
Amanda reports that the backups are done successfully.  However, when I
attempt to use amrecover/amrestore/amverify I get:

error reading file header: input/output error

If I do the restores manually with the help of amadmin to
determine which filemarker to goto, I see that the backups are indeed on
the tapes, e.g. with the following sequence:

% amadmin config info host drive
# I get some output and take note of the file marker.
# pop in the tape and...
% mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind; mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf filemarker
% dd if=/dev/nst0 skip=1 bs=32k | tar tvf -

A slurry of data come flooding onto my screen.

Has anyone observed such behavior and know how to correct it?

thanks
robin