Amanda-Users

Re: The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape

2003-02-03 16:13:14
Subject: Re: The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape
From: Jason Brooks <jason.brooks AT windriver DOT com>
To: John <john AT keimel DOT com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:17:26 -0800
Hello,

I am going to guess on this one. My first thought is that there is now a gap in your tapelist. amanda wanted tape number 4. there is nothing there now, which might be why amanda sez "a new tape" in your messages.

I believe the order of your tapelist dictates to amanda what the next tape should be. the last entry is the next tape. Assuming you have entered a new tape number 4, you might ensure that is the last entry, and the first field (date field) is the oldest date (the number zero ought to do it!) you can use amcheck to test.

It's unfortunate that your tape drive apparently has no "end of tape" detection mechanism. on a number of them it's a series of holes passing an optical detector. If your tape drive has these, then they might be full of dust, or something.

Since the tape broke, I am going to assume you cannot repair it, and that everything "successfully" flushed to tape was lost. This info ought to be in your logs. you might need to force these backups to be redone.

I hope this works out well for you...

--jason

John wrote:
Long story short.

Ran tapetype on a 230m tape. Then got a box of 170m tapes without
noticing.
Tape 4, a 170M tape was snapped at it's end.

I amrmtape tape4, and now amanda insists it needs a new tape to flush
the stored backups to.
I'm now gettings:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [cannot overwrite active tape Daily01].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

Is there a way to make it use the existing 7 remaining tapes instead of
throwing a new tape at it? It's mostly a time thing for getting a new
tape, but it'd be nice to be able to go on with the next tape in the
cycle. Any suggestions?
I google'd for this and the only useful thing relating to this is that
'it's a showstopper' which is not what I really want to hear. :(
If it IS a showstopper, I'll have to hope the dump to disk has enough
space til the tape can arrive. Thanks folks.

Jason Brooks ~ (503) 641-3440 x1861
      Direct ~ (503) 924-1861
Email to: jason.brooks AT windriver DOT com

System / Network Administrator
Wind River Systems
8905 SW Nimbus ~ Suite 255
Beaverton, Or 97008