Amanda-Users

Re: amflush hangs

2002-12-28 02:45:15
Subject: Re: amflush hangs
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: rgrant AT blpltd DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 02:10:05 -0500
On Friday 27 December 2002 23:33, rgrant AT blpltd DOT com wrote:
>Hi,
>I have been running amanda for the past 3 weeks and it has  been
>working very well. I usually insert a new tape every day, but
>yesterday I did not change the tape, today I did an "amflush" to
>write the holding disk content to tape and I noticed that amflush
>never finishes. If I list the processes I see amflush taking 98%
> cpu usage, and there is no disk activity, this went on for 4
> hours, the amflush log follows:
>
>amflush: datestamp 20021227
>driver: pid 11354 executable driver version 2.4.3
>driver: send-cmd time 0.005 to taper: START-TAPER 20021227
>taper: pid 11355 executable taper version 2.4.3
>taper: page size is 4096
>taper: buffer size is 32768
>taper: buffer[00] at 0x4008d000
>taper: buffer[01] at 0x40095000
>taper: buffer[02] at 0x4009d000
>taper: buffer[03] at 0x400a5000
>taper: buffer[04] at 0x400ad000
>taper: buffer[05] at 0x400b5000
>taper: buffer[06] at 0x400bd000
>taper: buffer[07] at 0x400c5000
>taper: buffer[08] at 0x400cd000
>taper: buffer[09] at 0x400d5000
>taper: buffer[10] at 0x400dd000
>taper: buffer[11] at 0x400e5000
>taper: buffer[12] at 0x400ed000
>taper: buffer[13] at 0x400f5000
>taper: buffer[14] at 0x400fd000
>taper: buffer[15] at 0x40105000
>taper: buffer[16] at 0x4010d000
>taper: buffer[17] at 0x40115000
>taper: buffer[18] at 0x4011d000
>taper: buffer[19] at 0x40125000
>taper: buffer structures at 0x4012d000 for 240 bytes
>taper: read label `tape-11' date `20021227'
>taper: wrote label `tape-11' date `20021227'
>

>The only way to stop this is to kill the process and run amcleanup
>which returns this e-mail:
>

>*** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!
>
>The dumps were flushed to tape tape-11.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: tape-12.
>

>STATISTICS:
>                          Total       Full      Daily
>                        --------   --------   --------
>Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
>Run Time (hrs:min)         0:00
>Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
>Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
>Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
>Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
>Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
>Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
>
>Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
>Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
>Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
>Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
>Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
>

>DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER
>STATS
>HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s
> MMM:SS KB/s
>-------------------------- ---------------------------------
> --------- ---
> [...]

This does look like a puzzle.  All the times I've forgotten to
change the tapes, amflush (or the next nights amdump if you have
the autoflush option line in your amanda.conf) has worked just fine
here.

3 things come to mind.

1. Whats the snapshot date of your amanda 2.4.3 install?  I ask
because its not included above, but is included in any reports I
get from amanda here, using the latest snapshot from the site
Jean-Louis maintains at umontreal.ca.

2. Is this possibly another of the (in)famous Onstream gotcha's?
This drive seems to have a 'history', specifically the ADR-30 and
ADR-50 versions if my memory hasn't gone alzheimers on me...

3. Did you unpack, configure and make it as user 'amanda' but
install it as root so all the permissions were properly set?

This is probably not much help, just asking the usual questions,
sorry.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M