Amanda-Users

Re: Amflush

2002-12-26 20:27:36
Subject: Re: Amflush
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Bill Hults" <ehults AT paydata DOT com>, "Amanda List" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 19:54:36 -0500
On Thursday 26 December 2002 16:45, Bill Hults wrote:
>The files & directories are all owned correctly except for a
> couple like amcheck which is owned by root:disk.

amcheck should NOT be owned by root, and it should not be run as
root.  Here, I must 'su amanda' before I can run it else it yells
at me.  To assure those perms are correctly set, go to the top
level, where you can see the source tarballs unpacked directory and
do a "chown -R amanda:disk (or whatever user and group you have
amanda setup as) amanda-2.4.3-20021223" which assumes the most
recent snapshot.  Adjust the date as required for your install.  I
usually build amanda in /home/amanda/amanda-version which seems
like it takes a lot of perms hassles away.  Thats not the only way
of course.  :-)

Then cd to this directory as user amanda, configure it and make it.
Exit back to root, cd into the directory again, and 'make install'
This should correctly set all the perms automaticly.

Since the configuration options are easily forgotten, or are at my
age, I long ago stuffed all that into a script that I copy to each
new snapshots directory so that each new version is configured
exactly like the old one.

> Amflush is owned
> by amanda:disk. I did not remove the rpms but all the files have
> the same date & I moved all the old files to a temp directory
> before deleting them. I'm not running up2date.
>One other piece of info I didn't mention is that I have 2 backups
> that dump into the same holding disk & I backup the some of the
> same partitions in each backup. Amanda names them differently to
> tell them apart. Thanks

[snip]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M