Amanda-Users

port nnnnn not secure.... resolved!

2002-12-19 19:24:24
Subject: port nnnnn not secure.... resolved!
From: Steve Bertrand <iaccounts AT northnetworks DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:43:25 -0500
I stumbled across this in google groups after weeks of searching.

The problem: My amanda box is behind a Netopia 7100-c nat gateway, and the netopia box mapped amanda ports to ports above 50000, which amanda deems as insecure. The netopia box does not appear to have any way to re-map the ports, so I was stuck. My amanda box is co-located on a colleagues network, so I couldn't just put the amanda box as the gateway.

Here's what I did to fix it:

- open common-src/security.c within the amanda source tree
- comment out the if-statement block that starts with
   if(ntohs(addr->sin_port >= IPPORT_RESERVED) {

For the non-developers, you can comment out the entire code block by putting the /* symbols before the block to start the comment, then the */ symbols after the block to close the comment quote.

Hope this helps a few people!!

Steve Bertrand
Director/Consultant
Northumberland Network Services