Amanda-Users

planner and 10BaseT hosts

2002-12-16 16:17:07
Subject: planner and 10BaseT hosts
From: "Steve Loughran" <stevelml1 AT scee.sony.co DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:34:30 -0000
Hi all

First post to the list, so please be gentle with me :)

I have just got a basic bare-bones amanda config sorted today and am in the
process of installing clients on various *nix boxes. Almost all my hosts are
100BaseT capable, but one of them is an SGI with a 10BaseT NIC. Obviously,
the backup data from this host will trickle in much slower than all the
other 100BaseT hosts, but it has a LOT of data on it.

How can I convince amanda/planner to start this host early on in the
schedule so it will continue to stream to disk file while other backups are
being streamed and dumped to tape at a faster rate? If I created a `dummy`
10BaseT interface in amanda.conf that is configured to have 10BaseT
bandwidth, and use this interface name in the disk list for the slow host,
would the planner take into effect the `interface` option in the disklist if
I have:

    dumporder "TTT<etc,etc>"

in the config file?

Also, what are the recommendations for the "dumporder" value?

Any help you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
in advance.

--

Steve

Steve Loughran, Network Infrastructure Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (Cambridge)
Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace
ICQ#: 104426046