Amanda-Users

Solaris hosts amrecover oddity

2002-12-12 21:13:13
Subject: Solaris hosts amrecover oddity
From: "Kevin M. Myer" <kevin_myer AT iu13 DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT egroups DOT com
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:37:25 -0500
Hi,

I'm finding some oddities with trying to restore anything that was backed up
from a Solaris host.  My amanda backup server is running Red Hat 7.3, with their
amanda packages, compiled from RPM (2.4.2p2-7).  The Solaris boxes are running
amanda 2.4.2p2, compiled from source, with the following options:

/configure  --without-server --with-user=backup --with-group=daemon
--with-index-server=ironwood --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/gtar
--with-readline=no

What happens is that no matter where I run amrecover from (be it the Solaris box
that was backed up or the backup server or another Linux box), I only see a few
directories/files available for restore.  For example, on the Solaris box, in
the level 0 gnutar-lists file, it shows all the directories on the system.  A
backup report shows approximately 4Gb being backed up during that full backup.
But, if I run amrecover, there's only a smidgeon of that visible:

# /usr/local/sbin/amrecover IU13 -s juniper -t juniper
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.2p2. Contacting server on juniper ...
220 juniper AMANDA index server (2.4.2p2) ready.
200 Access OK
Setting restore date to today (2002-12-12)
200 Working date set to 2002-12-12.
200 Config set to IU13.
200 Dump host set to newt.
$CWD '/' is on disk '/' mounted at '/'.
200 Disk set to /.
/
amrecover> ls
2002-12-04 export/
2002-12-04 opt/
2002-12-04 usr/

There should be all the files and other directories there as well (like /etc,
/bin/, etc.).  The only pattern that I can somewhere ascertain is that the three
above directories all contain files that are have a longer filenames:

/export/home/myer/lmbench-2alpha12/BitKeeper/other/BitKeeper/etc/SCCS
amrecover> ls
2002-12-04 s.logging_ok-staelin-at-hpli8.hpli.hpl.hp.com-2

OR

/opt/sfw/mysql-3.23.33-sun-solaris2.7-sparc/sql-bench/Results
amrecover> ls
2002-12-04 ATIS-Adabas-Linux_2.0.35_i686-cmp-adabas,mysql

So where are the other files and directories?  The only thing that has changed
is that the index-server option I passed to configure when I compiled amanda on
the Solaris box is no longer valid (i.e its not ironwood anymore, its juniper)
but I thought that specifying amrecover with -s would override that.  The logs
on the backup server would indicate that indeed, it did backup 4Gb of data.

Any ideas?  I've looked through the logs but nothing is jumping out at me.
Running amrecover from the Solaris host and setting "sethost" and "setdisk" to a
Linux server and parition respectivly shows me everything backed up on that
server.  So its very specifically a problem with running amrecover anywhere and
trying to restore a Solaris box to anywhere.

Thanks,
Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer