Amanda-Users

Re: [Fwd: Sony TSL-S7000 DDS2 autoloader]

2002-12-12 20:13:59
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Sony TSL-S7000 DDS2 autoloader]
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Paul G. Allen" <pgallen AT randomlogic DOT com>, amusers <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:11:44 -0500
From: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
>To: kplug-list AT kernel-panic DOT org
>
>Anyone know of any support for these?
>
>The Red Hat HCL lists similar units, but not this one.  And they
> say autoloading isn't supported.  Google turns up a few mentions
> of this drive.  Anyone happen to know of a site where there might
> be other drivers to try?  This drive isn't very useful if the
> tapes won't cycle through it... :-)

And doubly handicapped by the stock linux (at least R.H.) kernels,
which do not do a 'scan all luns' when the scsi bus is being
initialized.  That means there is a decent chance the kernel won't
find the changer mechanism which is often on the same bus address
but at lun 1 as opposed to the drive being lun 0, where lun stands
Logical Unit Number.  This is the case with my Seagate changer, and
I believe its fairly commonly done that way to save scsi bus
address usage.

If that is the case, rebuild your kernel with this option turned on,
and then find out if 'mtx' can run the changer when given the
device name found for it in the /var/log/dmesg file, (or where ever
your system keeps its bootup message log) if its then found and
registered.

Half the battle has been won if it is found that mtx can run the
robot.  If not, investigate a different drive, or hassle the drive
maker to at least PD the drives API so that it can be made usable
on *nix systems.  Its possible that mtx has had some new additions
that I'm not aware of too, so please get & check the latest version
of that before you give up.

That addition to amanda, if required, is not an overnight project,
and often depends on how busy the maintainer of the various robot
manager scripts is.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M