Amanda-Users

dlt 4000 & hw compression

2002-12-10 11:24:21
Subject: dlt 4000 & hw compression
From: "Richard B. Tilley ""(Brad)" <rtilley AT vt DOT edu>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 10 Dec 2002 10:36:55 -0500
How does one remove compression from a quantum dlt 4000 tape drive that
uses dlt 4 tapes?

I have tried mt -f /dev/nst1 erase and then rewriting the amanda's tape
label, but the drive always goes to 20GB compressed unless I do a
density override and deselect the compression.

My understanding is that these drives are to default to 20GB
uncompressed and I would rather let amanda do the compression. As of
now, I can set the density override each night when I load the tape, but
I'd like the drive to default to this.

The drives handbook talks about writing from BOT as a way to make
changes to density, but it seems to me that using erase and then
creating a new label would be from BOT.

Any Helpful advice is much appreciated.

--
Richard B. Tilley (Brad), System Administrator & Web Developer
Virginia Tech, Office of the University Bursar