Amanda-Users

Media Errors and failed amrecovers

2002-12-09 12:08:39
Subject: Media Errors and failed amrecovers
From: "Adam D. Read" <aread AT localnet DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:44:31 -0500
I am running an OpenBSD 3.0 box with an adaptec 2940. Connected to this is a VXA-1 Rakpak(only 1 drive). The entire setup works beautifully for a few days, and I never get any errors when it makes the backups at night. I test each tape by restoring a file from one of the level 0 dumps(tar) the morning after. If it has been a few days, I start to get errors and amrecover dies and this is in the log:
amrecover: Can't read file header
Also, in dmesg I get:
st0(ahc1:10:0): Check Condition on opcode 0x8
    SENSE KEY: Media Error
   INFO FIELD: 32768
     ASC/ASCQ: Recorded Entity Not Found
If I manually use mt and dd, I can see the header, which looks fine, and I can get the files if I manually use mt and dd piped to a file, then untar them, but those media errors bug me, plus I would like to be able to use the tools.

I hope that some of you have an idea that will help you. I hate power cycling the server every few days.

Thanks,
Adam