Amanda-Users

Re: Lot of data very small tape!

2002-12-06 15:44:03
Subject: Re: Lot of data very small tape!
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:01:38 -0500
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 02:23:18PM -0500, Vytas Janusauskas wrote:
> Hi Folks,

   [ rearranged ]

> In testing I did try to backup a directory, I though that after compression
> it would fit on the tape.  Unfortunately due to the TIFF files the
> directory did not compress as well as expected.  So now I have a dump in
> the holding disk which will not fit on the tape.  Do I just delete the file
> from the holding disk or is there a procedure I need to run so as not
> corrupt Amanda's index files.

        amadmin delete hostname disk

Though in your case "disk" would be the directory, i.e. the DLE entry.

Then remove the entry fromt he disklist.

> Still trying to configure Amanda.  I have about 20 WIn 95, Win 98 and NT
> computers to archive.
>
> So as a starting point I have picked 3 computers which in total have drive
> capacity of over 530 GB of which 430 GB is used.
>
> Using Samba I have successfully mounted the drives.  Since I have a tape
> drive with a non-compressed capacity of less than 7 GB, I am forced to use
> individual directories in the disklist.

Vytas,
you aren't serious are you?  You are so undertaped it is silly.

Every disklist entry you make must first receive a level 0 backup.  That
alone will take about 50 tapes.

Then assume you are running dumps daily with a dumpcycle of 1 week.
Best case scenario is about 10 tapes per day with a mixture of about
8 for level 0's and 2 for incrementals (assuming only a 5 percent change
in data per day).  With only 2 dumpcycles of tapes, that is 140 tapes.

And that only covers 3 systems out of 20 hosts that need backing up.
If they are similarly sized, that is 7 times more data, meaning 70 tapes/day?

There may not even be enough hours in a day.  Assuming a data rate of 1MB/sec
(my 12GB DDS3 tape does that), it would take 2 hours of writing per tape.

You really must think about a different backup device.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)