Amanda-Users

Re: Lot of data very small tape!

2002-12-06 15:13:54
Subject: Re: Lot of data very small tape!
From: Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:23:18 -0500
Hi Folks,

Still trying to configure Amanda. I have about 20 WIn 95, Win 98 and NT computers to archive.

So as a starting point I have picked 3 computers which in total have drive capacity of over 530 GB of which 430 GB is used.

Using Samba I have successfully mounted the drives. Since I have a tape drive with a non-compressed capacity of less than 7 GB, I am forced to use individual directories in the disklist.

Unfortunately I have no control of where the users will be creating new directories. How do you ensure that all the directories are accounted for in the disklist? It is also not unusual that some of these directories to be larger than the tape capacity. I plan to deal with them after Amanda complains about them. For example when the backup burps on a directory, I will them subdivide the offending directory into sub-directory's smaller than the tape capacity. Will this work or is there a better way of dealing with these larger directories?

In testing I did try to backup a directory, I though that after compression it would fit on the tape. Unfortunately due to the TIFF files the directory did not compress as well as expected. So now I have a dump in the holding disk which will not fit on the tape. Do I just delete the file from the holding disk or is there a procedure I need to run so as not corrupt Amanda's index files.

Thanks,

Vytas

Vytas Janusauskas
Dendron Resource Surveys Inc.