Amanda-Users

chg-multi....Inappropriate ioctl for device

2002-12-05 18:12:15
Subject: chg-multi....Inappropriate ioctl for device
From: "Shawn Clark" <sc AT mtxnet DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:03:16 +0000
I am trying to setup amanda v2.4.3 as a tapeless backup system. I have read
alot of
unable to get it to work. I have been using amanda for several years with
tape-changers, so I am familiar with it. Here are my configs and errors:

tape directories: /opt/amanda/dumps/tape01,tape02,etc..

I did create the "data" subdirectories in each of the "tape" directories.  I
also
tried as one user had done and created a directory named "data" in
"/opt/amanda/dumps/" directory and symlinked the "data" subdirectory in the
tapes
dir to it. Neither way worked.

amanda.conf has these entries:

tpchanger "chg-multi"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/chg-multi.conf

Both tapedev and changerdev are commented out, however I have tried tapedev
with the
"file:/opt/amanda/dumps/data" option....didn't work.

tapetype HARD-DISK

define tapetype HARD-DISK {
  comment "Hard disk instead of tape"
  length 15000 mbytes
}

/etc/amanda/DailySet1/chg-multi.conf:

multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject (have tried 0 & 1)
ejectdelay 0
statefile /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status # file is r/w by amanda user
firstslot 1
lastslot 21

slot 1 /opt/amanda/dumps/tape01
slot 1 /opt/amanda/dumps/tape02
etc....

command executions:
/usr/sbin/ammt -f file:/opt/amanda/dumps/tape01 status
   returns--> file:/opt/amanda/dumps/tape01 status: ONLINE

/usr/sbin/amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1.01 slot 1
   returns--> amlabel: could not load slot "1": chg-multi: slot is empty

All commands are being run as the amanda user, and all files and directories
have
r/w permissions for the amanda user and group.

/tmp/amanda/changer.debug says this:

Args -> -slot 1
MT -> /usr/sbin/ammt-f
Note: setting posteject to a default of "true"
    -> rewind /opt/amanda/dumps/tape01
/opt/amanda/dumps/tape01 rewind failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Exit -> chg-multi: slot is empty

Am I under the wrong impression that the tapeio function that allows tapeless
backup
was included in 2.4.3? I have tried 2.4.3b4 as well, although I beleive this
beta
version was prior to 2.4.3, and I see that the tapeio files are the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw, I am running Debian /testing with mt version 2.5, and mtx version 1.2.16rel

Thanks

shawn
--
--sc.