Amanda-Users

Re: Trouble getting SAMBA to work with AMANDA

2002-12-05 17:05:52
Subject: Re: Trouble getting SAMBA to work with AMANDA
From: "Richard B. Tilley ""(Brad)" <rtilley AT vt DOT edu>
To: Jeffery Smith <smith AT skycomputers DOT com>
Date: 05 Dec 2002 16:25:02 -0500
On the 2000 box, be certain that the user that smbclient uses to access
the share has full-control over the files within that share. In order to
avoid this problem, I us ntbackup to create an archive of all the files
that I want backed-up and then only allow access to the user that
amanda/smbclient uses to get to that file. And, I give that user
full-control. If possible, it's best to create a separate partition
formated NTFS so you can control access.

I do this on 75 2000 boxes without problems. I have an old 95 box that
used to display the same error that you listed, but when I set its share
to full-control, the error  stopped and amanda worked just fine. I read
someplace once (a long time ago) that the user that smbclient uses to
access the shares has to have write/change ability in order to do
incrementals.

Maybe someone else (more familiar with this) can go into this more. Try
the samba list too.

--
Richard B. Tilley (Brad), System Administrator & Web Developer
Virginia Tech, Office of the University Bursar