Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 sometimes restoring empty directories

2002-12-03 12:15:29
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 sometimes restoring empty directories
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:27:58 -0500
Reply redirected to amanda-user list

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:40:16AM -0500, Mark Stosberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently helped with a restore using Amanda's "amrecover" tool.
> Amanda would report that files were present on the tape, but in some,
> but not all cases, only empty directories were restored when there
> should have been files on them. Here's some information on the
> environment:
>
> Server and client software: 2.4.2p2
> Server OS: FreeBSD 4.7
> tar version on server: GNU Tar 1.13.25
>
> I did some searches through both the mail archives and couldn't find any
> conclusive hints on what might be causing this.

Is the tar on the client also a good version?
Recovery of directories only was one problem I had with invalid tar versions.

Before doing the "extract" command, when you use "list" or "list diskfilename"
does the list of files to be extracted that is generated match what you expect?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)