Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie and backup scheme... comments pls

2002-12-02 06:00:16
Subject: Re: Newbie and backup scheme... comments pls
From: "Joffer" <joffer AT online DOT no>
To: <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:59:04 +0100
> On Sunday 01 December 2002 12:21, Joffer wrote:
> >> Humm, thats a DDS2 drive then, more better as they said in "The
> >> Coal Miners Daughter".
> >
> >Hmm.. I got a new tape here, stipp wrapped in plastic. It says
> > "90m DDS-1 Data Cartridge" and "2Gbytes (before compression)"

Well, the plastic wrapping on this DDS-1 tape tells me of 3 versions of the
DDS-1 tapes, 60, 90 and 120m, equals 1, 2 and 4 GB respectivly.

> Humm, I must have forgotten the increments on the DDS family.
> That doesn't translate to half the capacity per meter of a DDS2,
> which is 4gb before compression.  Silly Q, will the drive accept
> and use a 120 meter DDS2 tape?  In which case it might be
> interesting to run tapetype against it and see how much will
> actually fit on one of them.
>
> My bad in any event. . .
> [...]

I could run the tapetype again if you want. I did once, but maybe I got some
strange results, see below for my previous mail to the list about the
tapetype.. well.. since I'm going to work now, I just started the tapetype
util again, this time with /dev/nst0 instead of /dev/st0:

./tapetype -e 2g -t "HP 90 meter DDS-1 Data Cartridge" -f /dev

Probably have a result when I get home.

/Christopher