ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Restore TSM DB without instance directory

2017-11-24 16:36:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Restore TSM DB without instance directory
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 15:35:40 -0600
One of the nice things about having more than one TSM/ISP server is that
they can be ordinary backup clients of one another. Items 2-4 can be
restored from regular TSM backups on the other server, along with the
entire Instance Directory, the executable binaries, etc. It really makes
for a much faster, less painful, restore of the server that failed. You
probbaly still have to do a database restore, but everything for that
will be there in the right places. I've been there.

Even though I do that, I still make daily copies of devconfig and
volhist to 3 different locations, right after the database backup.
They're that important.

BTW I have tried doing database backups via server-to-server, but I
found that it was slower and less flexible, so I do not recommend that.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====