ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDP for SQL and UAC

2017-06-01 20:06:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDP for SQL and UAC
From: "Harris, Steven" <steven.harris AT BTFINANCIALGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 23:59:52 +0000
Hi All

I've got a bit of a show-stopper here that I could use some help with.

Previously, SQL backups have been mostly  handled by dump to disk and backup
with BA Client. Database sizes have grown over time and now we cannot get
through the whole dump/backup cycle in a reasonable window, so we have been
pushing to get TDP used as the standard backup mechanism for SQL.  There are a
couple of issues with this ; I'll  be submitting an RFE for one of them shortly
however the big one is to do with security.

The TDP for SQL backup is to be run using the control-m scheduling tool as the
backup has to run at a particular point in the processing cycle (also for
restores as we can't afford to have a large restore fail because someone's RDP
session timed out) .  It must use a domain account, nothing else is
permissible.  When doing this we get a windows UAC pop-up.  Again we are not
permitted to turn off UAC..  don't worry about how reasonable that is, IT
Security and Auditors don't cope well with arguments about 'reasonable' or 'low
risk' it's all black and white.

So, has anyone else solved this issue: run a TDP backup from a domain account
and somehow bypass the UAC prompt without turning it off in a blanket fashion?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin/Consultant
Canberra Australia

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure. You should immediately delete the message
if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email by
mistake please delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or
disclose its content to anyone.

This electronic communication may contain general financial product advice but
should not be relied upon or construed as a recommendation of any financial
product. The information has been prepared without taking into account your
objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the Product
Disclosure Statement relating to the financial product and consult your
financial adviser before making a decision about whether to acquire, hold or
dispose of a financial product.

For further details on the financial product please go to http://www.bt.com.au

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.