ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Dedup rate on SAP backups

2017-06-01 18:29:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Dedup rate on SAP backups
From: Marcel Anthonijsz <marcel AT ANTHONIJSZ DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 00:28:28 +0200
Hi Eric,

I find this redbook, although not for IBM SP, a nice read on best practices
for dedup: IBM ProtecTIER Implementation and Best Practices Guide,
SG24-8025-03
It is aimed at IBM ProtecTIER but a lot of these best practices are valid
for _any_ deduplication implementation:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248025.html?Open

Page 334 (section 20.6.9) mentions:

   - Disable multiplexing.
   - Use as many backup sessions in parallel as possible, not exceeding
   MAXNUMMP
   - Disable compression by configuring RL_COMPRESSION=NO (no-brainer!)

Let us know if this helps...

Eric-van.Loon AT klm DOT com>:

> Hi guys!
> Now that we are testing with TSM deduplication where we have always used a
> Data Domain in the past, I discovered that our SAP nodes have a very low
> dedup rate. After some Googling it looks like this has something to do with
> the random way SAP sends its data to the backup client. If backup files
> physically differ every backup run, I can imagine that this will have a
> negative impact on deduplication.
> Does anybody know if this is true and if there is a way to influence this
> behavior?
> Thanks for any help in advance and have a nice weekend!
> Kind regards,
> Eric van Loon
> Air France/KLM Storage Engineering
> For information, services and offers, please visit our web site:
> http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
> confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If
> you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or
> any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other
> action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may
> be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the
> sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.
>
> Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its
> employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission
> of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
> Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch
> Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered
> number 33014286

Kind Regards, Groetje,

Marcel Anthonijsz
T: +31(0)299-776768