ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] "Ghost" Tape Drives and Slots

2015-06-09 09:01:03
Subject: [ADSM-L] "Ghost" Tape Drives and Slots
From: Benjamin Balk <bbalk AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 08:58:06 -0400
Hello,

We have a couple of aging TS3500/3584 tape libraries and are going through
a process of consolidating what hardware we can into one single library
using our faster drives and newer tapes.  During this process we, moved 4
E05 tape drives into a frame that previously held a cell of tapes.  When
the tech who did the work pulled the tapes out, he didn't inventory the
empty slots afterward to remove the tapes from the library inventory.  Now
we have old records of tapes showing up in the library so any inventory of
the library causes our gripper to crash into the drives that are in the
frame where the tape slots used to be.

Is anyone aware of a way to manually clean this up through the front panel
or web interface to save us from having to pull the drives out and
re-insert the empty slots to scan them?

In order to get the tapes back into the library, I was able to override the
volsers of the "ghost" tapes through the web interface so that we no longer
have duplicate tapes in the inventory but I still can't get the old records
to go away.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Balk