ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Best practices on filesystem for DB and ACTLOG on RHEL7

2015-03-22 17:05:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] Best practices on filesystem for DB and ACTLOG on RHEL7
From: Robert Lejtorp <robert.lejtorp AT COMPOSE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:04:08 +0000
Hi

I'm about to install a new TSM 7.1.1 server on RHEL7 and would like to have
some input on what file system to use, and if I should consider any special
options.

My first concerns is about the volumes where I intend place the DB and the
actlog.
We have an IBM x3650 M4 and five 400 GB SSD-drives (SATA-connector) in an
hw-RAID5 setup to be used by TSM-DB and the actlog.
The OS, arch-log and some space to be used for meta-data from TSM4VE backups is
located on another hw-RAID5 of five SAS-volumes.

Default file system in RHEL7 is now xfs, and my question is if I should stick
to what RedHat suggests or if I should go for EXT4 for some reason.
Are there any special concerns to keep in mind for performance (like allocation
group size and stripe units on xfs) or will "standard" do the work equally good
?

The blueprint for TSM server on Linux_x86 specifies ext4, but it's for TSM7.1
and RHEL6.4

Best regards
Robert Lejtorp
Compose IT