ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Is TSM for VE 7.1.1.1 pagefile aware? Is it contrained to a single process per datamover? What constitutes a successful backup?

2015-03-02 17:24:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Is TSM for VE 7.1.1.1 pagefile aware? Is it contrained to a single process per datamover? What constitutes a successful backup?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 22:22:46 +0000
>>There's no mention of pagefile 'awareness' in the documentation, so it's safe
>>to say that the backup will consist of all changed blocks, regardless of
>>what's stored on them.

Ditto.  We've found that that the backup GB per day for VE can be significantly
higher than it would be if the machines were physical servers because you pick
up all changed blocks.  That includes pagefile.sys, and all the Windows
temporary crud that you can usually exclude on a physical machine.

Where we have really gotten burned is double-dipping on MS-SQL - DB's were set
up with maintenance plans that backup to a /BACKUPS directory, then after a P
to V conversion ended up on the same hdisk as the DB itself.  With VE you then
get double the changed blocks - blocks for the DB itself, and changed blocks
for the /BACKUPS directory.  And machines created with big work directories on
hdisks that can't be excluded.  etc. etc.

You'll want to have a conversation with your VM team about how to create VM's
that are "backup friendly", by splitting into more hdisks and identifying those
that can be excluded from backups.

>> As for threaded behavior, I've pinned all the cores on my datamover during
>> heavy parallel backups using deduplication, so while it may only register as
>> a single process in the Task Manager, it seems clear that TSM is acting like
>> a multi-threaded application.

Yup.   Pins all the cores we give it, and we aren't using dedup.

Wanda Prather
TSM Consultant
ICF International Enterprise and Cybersecurity Systems Division