ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Journal based backup support for Windows 2003

2015-02-20 11:33:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] Journal based backup support for Windows 2003
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:31:29 +0000
One of the TSM client systems at our site is a very large file server. Weekday
backups are consistently taking over 22 hours, with occasional instances of a
backup being missed because its predecessor was still running. The system is an
obvious candidate for journal based backups. The system runs Windows 2003 and
currently has 6.2.4.0 client code installed.

When I was checking for compatibility issues I found the following statement on
page 111 of the "Installation and User's Guide" for the TSM 6.2 Windows client:

Journal-based backup is supported for all Windows clients.

I advised the client system administrator to configure the system for journal
based backups, and that process was completed yesterday.

I just discovered the following on page 31 of the same document:

Journal-based backup can be used for all Windows clients, except for clients
running on Windows Server 2003 systems.

Which of the two contradictory statements is true?

At best I will ending up spending a significant amount of time verifying that
the client configuration described above is supported. At worst I have been
tricked into advising a customer to use an unsupported configuration. The TSM
6.2 developers apparently didn't understand, or didn't care, that sloppy work
does real harm to customers. The TSM 7.1 server code is currently awaiting a
maintenance level that addresses the second crippling bug found after the code
was released, which suggests that the same attitude toward sloppy work prevails
to this day.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University
The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and
confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or
urgent health care matters.