ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM

2014-11-21 13:31:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up Isilons with TSM
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:29:35 +0000
If you are already using a backup box with multiple nodes, you already have a
system that works for you.
Depends on how you want the data stored, and how you want to do restores.
I like using PROXY relationships for this case:

I have customer(s) with many TB of EMC NAS shares.
They want the help desk to do the restores for the many users on those NAS
shares.

We use multiple client machines, not just one, to do the backups.
Each machine/scheduler service has a TSM node names and is attached to a
schedule.
But they all have proxy authority and do their backups using
"asnode=ONENASNAME".

So they each back up a number of shares, but all the filespaces are stored
under ONENASNAME.
That way when the helpdesk goes to do a restore, they start the client with
"asnode=ONENASNAME".
They see all the shares/filespaces from one nodename and can do restores for
any of them.

But another big plus is that as the shares grow, if we need to take a machine
that is doing 10 of the shares and split it across 2 machines doing 5 each, we
do that and the location of the filespaces doesn’t change, and the helpdesk
doesn't have to hunt around or have a chart to find things.

Useful in this setup to maintain sanity for the help desk.
Wanda