ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SQL-backup with no config file

2014-06-05 05:47:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SQL-backup with no config file
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <bullhcr AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 11:45:50 +0200
Hi,

thanks for the answer.

I may have explained the problem poorly. New try.

If we have in a sqlful.bat script:

tdpsqlc backup * full /configfile=someconfig.cfg

and the file "someconfig.cfg" does not exist, the command runs along with
default config and returns with rc=0.

Problem with that is if "somconfig.cfg" once existed and pointed to an
MSSQL-instance ie. "SQLSERVER NODE\INSTANCE" and somebody deletes this file
the schedule will run fine and the missing backup of NODE\INSTANCE will go
undetected. I just happened to find that out in our environment where such
a configfile was deleted more than a year ago. Luckily no restore of that
instance was needed in that period.

I understand that specifying the instance in the backup script is one
solution but I also think it would be a lot safer if the tdpsqlc command
returned an error if /configfile points to a non existent config file. That
would also be consistent with how TSM behaves elsewhere. For example "dsmc
-optfile=file" will fail with rc=12 if "file" does not exist.

Maybe this is PMR/RFE material.

Regards

Hans Chr.